Monday, November 21, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 21 - The Gustatory Uncertainty in Liking Principle

The Gustatory Uncertainty in Liking Principle (or GULP) is taken as follows:
  1. I will not know if I enjoy the item until I have tried it within the present experiment (also known as a 'meal') due, in part, to fluctuations in flavor receptor function, variations in item preparation though item may possess the same or a similar name, and the potential for certain combinations in item formation may induce distinct gustatory experiences that diverge from those present in sub-items or derived from similar formulas.
  2. Even upon trying an item, I may not know for certain if I enjoy it due to perceptions of the aforementioned concerns, present environmental circumstances affecting the test results, the emergence of unprecedented sensation, or my own general capriciousness. Such a situation requires further testing.
  3. As Clause 1 is axiomatically true and Clause 2 will remain true until repeated testing resolves discrepancies, the suggested course of action (barring revelation of poison or bacterial/viral/unplanned-fungal contamination) is to participate in the experiment (also known as a 'meal') as it is within the best interest of scientific understanding.
I am thankful for this simple scientific principle that not only helps me to experience new foodstuffs, but will also give me a smarter way to tell my kids, "Because I said so," when they ask me why they have to eat the assumed-to-be-yucky dinner.

The Gustatory Uncertainty in Liking Principle (or GULP) is Copyright 2011 by Shannon Nichols.

1 comment: