Sunday, November 13, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 13 - Community

I am thankful for community [1]. I am thankful that we were never meant to go it alone; that the first thing God says is "not good" is for a man to be alone (Genesis 2:18). I am thankful that God exists within a Community unto Himself and thus why He recognized this. I am thankful that there are many types of community - the family, the team, the club, the class, the group, the church, the Church [2]. I am thankful that we are called to support, encourage, build up, care for, provide for, correct, teach, guide, submit to, receive, love, and strengthen each other. I am thankful that what is commonly called "The LORD's Prayer" or the "Our Father" uses the inclusive language of community:
Our Father . . .
Give us this day our daily bread . . .
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who have sinned against us . . .
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil . . .
I am thankful that this community known as the Kingdom of Heaven - the Kingdom of God - is opened to us by a God who wants to be in communion with us and wants to repair the separation we have ultimately caused [3]. I am thankful that we can join together, that we can work together, and that we can make peace.

[1] I am not talking about the television show which I have never seen.

[2] Note the capital C.

[3] Caused between us and God as well as between ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment